This hands-on aquaponics intensive workshop will provide valuable information and skills necessary to build a personal or community aquaponic systems from locally sourced and repurposed materials.
The course covers:
- System components and sourcing
- Aquaponics design and location considerations
- Growbed, plant crop, fish tank size, stocking density and feed ratios
- Hands-on construction of a personal aquaponics system tank system
- Building a bell siphon and assembling other plumbing parts
- Filling the system with media and water
- Fishless and fish cycle startup procedures
- Discussion of fish transportation and stocking the tank
- Seeding, transplanting, rotational planting, plant health and harvesting
- Daily operations and maintenance
The systems built during class will be used for aquaponics demonstrations. Take home building materials can be purchased with advance notice for an additional fee.
Meals: please bring a sack lunch and a reusable water bottle.
See also the Introduction to Aquaponics workshop the previous day.
We are hiring!
We are seeking a Facility Manager to be responsible for care-taking of the land, maintenance, janitorial and repair work for the Center. The ideal candidate has experience working in building maintenance, construction, grounds management, and shares our passion in our mission.This is a year-round, part-time, residential position. Experience with ecological, sustainability and permaculture practices is very desirable. Applicants must be able to obtain certification as a small water system operator. Please click here for more details.
Application deadline April 25th 2014
Join us on Facebook
Itching to finally get out of the city? Want to get more involved at Woodbine but don't know what opportunities are available? Want to spend some...
During the first week of May we'll be working on the land to help maintain a healthy ecosystem, tend to our wildlands, and prepare different areas...
As part of our five-year campaign and our commitment to building sustainable communities, Woodbine is hosting the first Honoring Our Sustainable...
Save the date to celebrate the summer solstice with community and food!
Abundance. Regeneration. Oases. Paradise.
For the past 3 years, Woodbine Ecology has hosted an Edible Forest Garden workshop with the renowned Eric...